Friday, September 19, 2008

Great Logic Pro 8 Tutorial

About a half a year ago, I bought Apple Logic Pro 8 as an upgrade to Logic Express. A brother of my former colleague is a musician in So Cal making sound tracks for movies and such and highly recommended I get Logic. He himself recently converted from PC Pro Tools to Mac and he really liked the fact that it came with so much stuff in the price. I do agree.

But I could not figure this software out so easily. Yeah, it is easy to record a few tracks, but once getting into the art of mixing, automation or even side-chaining effects... This is probably one of the most complex software tools you'd ever use (forget about PageMakers, PhotoShop or even Visual Studios), and you will end up and needing to be using just about every feature available to it to produce good sounding tracks.

I was looking for some nice books about it on a book web site and there was a comment from a user who wrote to check into MacProVideo instead of buying the book. I was a bit skeptical at first but I ended up buying already about half of their Video tutorial. Their sample videos were convincing and the instructor they pick are the people working at the top of the line in the industry.

I happen to think they are really great especially if you don't want to spend time and money learning it the hard way. Just sit and watch one of the videos for half a day and it is a savior in terms of climbing that hard initial learning curve. A normal course at your local art school extension would be $300 or $400 for a week or something, but with just $50, you can get your teacher to "come to your home" as many times as you need (so to speak).

So if don't have time to attend classes like me, do check out some of the courses MacProVideo.com

I started out using analog VUs, motorized boards, and patch cables to processor boxes and bouncing back and forth on 8 tracks with the studio time ticking by the minute. I could not have imagined that a I can carry a fully automated 64-track mixing studio and do a complete mix while traveling from SFO to NYC. It has definitely produced a lot of good mixes by a lot more people.

No comments: