Tuesday, January 29, 2013

LOGIC PRO - How Can I Adjust The Piano Roll Grid

I am sure you are here for this specific issue.

I can even guess...

You are probably doing your first dance tune and wanted to do that drum roll before the break-down, but you cannot enter any shorter than 1/16th notes in the piano roll, right?

Apple Logic Pro is really great but sometimes things appear to be not very intuitive.

And if you post your question on a forum, chances are that you get a snide remark about "read the manual."  Well, I've read the manual, but I am willing to say in this case the manual is not even very clear.

As a software engineer myself, I can clearly see the engineering side's argument as this feature is already covered and documented on a separate part of the software, and it should be so obvious to you that if you cannot figure this out, you might as well not be a musician.

I totally disagree, if you are looking at a part of the UI that has a grid in it then there ought to be a control-click-menu in there as "Adjust Grids" and even if there are other ways to do it, it should also allow you to make the change there. I would right click in the ruler on top and expect a menu to adjust the grid spacing!

But I did not write Logic. So let's figure out how to do this now.

Anyhow, it actually is easy. The key is that you probably did not know all of the grid is controlled in the Transport Bar!

Here is my "Drum Roll" which hits the snare every 16th of a beat. Idea is to show the grid every 32nd of a beat with the Piano Roll grid showing every 32nd.


The reason why my piano roll above is showing only every 16th is because of the setup in the Transport bar.  On "out of the box" Logic it is the standard division (that's how they call that.) You see that my transport is currently showing 131 PBM 4/4 time signature (so far you follow, right?) OK now, look under 4/4, it says /16. That's the problem!


What you should do now is to click in where it says /16 and type in 32.

 

Now go back to the piano roll and you can now see that grid has doubled!


Now you know how, you can use 1/48 division and you can make neat triplet sounding drum rolls or super fast 1/64 drum rolls. Have fun!



No comments: