Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Sewing for Musicians - Fixing a Torn Ear Pad on Sony MDR-7506 Headphones

I have a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones, which is really great. It fits well, the sound isolation is very adequate, and it is the old tried and tested production engineers choice. It's well worth $100. I had it a little over 3 years. There are other Sony headsets like Sony Studio Monitor Series Black Headphones - MDR-V6 (Google Affiliate Ad)

This weekend, I noticed that one of the ear pads was torn inside. One of the inside seam was split exposing the sponge inside and getting worse.

You are supposed to be able to buy the replacement. At one vendor I checked, they are out of stock. It runs about $7.00 each.

But because of this design, fixing it is also quite easy.

Assuming further delay, I looked into it a bit how it is built and in my case I was able to patch it up quite good by just sewing around the tear.

You may want to do that too. It should take only about 10 min to do this type of a fix. If you do not sew (you should have some basic skill on this though) I am sure someone close to you can.

Quick Tips:

Take the pad off the headset, turn it inside out to expose the torn seam. And stitch around like in a spiral fashion.


There, it is now complete and ready. If you use black thread, it would be un-noticeable.





No comments: