Saturday, November 1, 2008

Be Aware of Contexts in Logic Library Search

I was looking for some software instrument sounds in Logic 8's software instruments. The natural inclination is to use the Library Search feature under the Media panel's Library tab.

I wanted to add some bit of "Pedal Steel" feel for my project and so I was frantically looking for any instruments in the "out of the box" installation of Logic 8 for the word "Pedal."

I did not find any. So I asked on MacProVideo Forum about this and there are couple of things I've learned. This is also important for me to remember so I am documenting it here.
  • When a bare-bone Software Instrument Strip is selected, the Library search looks for Channel Strip Presets and not Instrument Presets. It is deceiving because quite a bit of ESX and ES instruments are preset as the channel strip preset.
  • If you are looking for actual file name, look for the name + .pst extension on your disk using Spotlight.
More detailed answer can be found at This Post at MacProVideo Forum.

P.S.: MacProVideo forum so far has been the most reliable and fast response source of questions. I highly recommend both their products (as I posted before) and forum participation.

No comments: